At first glance, definition essay can seem an easy assignment if you think that all you need to do is to define a specific term. Basically, defining is your major task but you should note that it must be done in that special way that can, first, interest the reader and, secondly, provide him of maximum clear insights on your understanding of this notion. If you can select a topic by yourself we highly recommend you to choose the concept that can be a bit controversial or interpreted in various ways. This is how you will be able to make an interesting point about it. Our article will help you to deal with your topic and writing a definition article, in general.
Basic requirements to the definition essay.
- As it was mentioned, your aim is to provide a personal definition of a particular term. Thus, you cannot just copy dictionary definitions but must conduct a proper research, which will let you develop your own understanding of the notion.
- Consider that your explanation must be as clear as possible and objective. Thus, make sure that you are using authoritative sources to support your points.
- The definition essay traditionally has three main parts: an introduction, main body and the conclusion.
- We recommend you to choose a topic that has a complex denotation so you have what to write about. Divide the meaning of the concept into smaller parts and present the explanation of each to the audience.
- If you are free to choose the term by yourself it is better to select the one, which is familiar to you. This is how you will be able to develop your own explanation basing on your personal understanding and experience.
- Make sure that the notion is controversial and can be a reason for a dispute. This is the only way for you to create really interesting thesis statement for the paper.
Topics for the definition essay.
Here we will provide you with some general ideas for the definition topics, which are fresh, convenient for the writer and attractive for the reader.
- Define a social or political term. This kind of notions has different meaning or, at least, various connotations of meaning in different countries. This is why you can develop a definition basing on your own background and using the sources, which you find appropriate for it. Examples:
- Law obedience
- Definition for abstract or philosophic terms.
This is really a fruitful field for writing as you can find numerous sources and positions that are diverse in their core, so you can select your position and elaborate the term according to it.
Nevertheless, you should be careful with this type of notions as the border between defining and personal reflection is very slight. Make sure that your opinion is argumentative, reasonable and supported by facts, citations and examples.
Here are some topics to define:
- Feel of duty