Persuasive paper is considered to be a piece of writing that explicates an author’s position on a certain issue and convinces the reader in its validity using various persuading tools. Persuading, indeed, requires certain communicative and writing skills, which can be acquired easily through training and reading relevant literature. Here you can find the basic guidelines on completing persuasive essays freely.
Basic persuasive principles.
- Before you start you should learn the difference between two concepts: persuading and manipulation. The first one means convincing people in accepting some positions in order for them to get benefits while manipulation does not bring any benefits as it does not flow from the reader’s interests typically.
- Persuading must be preceded by getting someone interested: before you begin proving your position, make sure that you still have the attention of audience. In order to get it you should develop engaging introduction that will puzzle, impress or excite the reader.
- Complimenting. All of us accept compliments gladly and with pleasure, we all like to be praised, especially, when we feel that we deserve it. Find such points in your expected audience and think about natural ways of praising them.
- No assuming. Remember that every person is individual with his or her personal needs, experiences and desires. This is why you cannot assume what one needs basing on your own thoughts only.
- Sense of urgency. When you are discussing a certain problem try to create a sense of urgency: it must be solved right now, otherwise consequences will be sad.
- Telling the truth. Try to be sincere with your reader without hiding or concealing the facts. This is how you will be able to set trustworthy relationships and will be able to convince audience easier.
- Be clear. One of the most important principles is clarity. Build your essay in coherent way, make the structure logical, and arrange sentences and paragraphs in correct and understandable order.
- Be flexible. Persuading is different from manipulation or forcing, this is why we recommend you to prepare your flexibility for this case. What we mean is that you have to accept and be ready for counterarguments.
Persuading techniques and tools.
- Language is a universal code that offers the writers and speakers a number of tools for different purposes. In case you have to convince a person you should check following techniques:
- Using personal pronouns. This tool allows the writer to be closer to reader, make the communication personal and emphasize personal responsibility and feelings.
- Repetition. It is a well-known rhetorical technique that is used for making an accent on the point you want to be remembered by the reader with the help of its repetition. For example, you can use anaphora – repeating the same word or pattern at the beginning of sentences or paragraphs.
- Writing with emotive language. Usually you are asked to write in informal manner but this is not the case. Appealing to certain emotions will let the writer influence the reader easier.
- Creating metaphors. Figurative language is beneficial for this case as it allows developing certain images in reader’s mind that can evoke associations and feelings.