If you have ever tried to write essays in your life you know that the most basic and most convenient is a five paragraph structure that is suitable for all types of the essays and all the topics. Usually such essay includes and introduction, three body paragraphs and a conclusion. One more important point that you should consider is that college writing means an argumentative writing in most of cases. Thus, the five paragraphs essay is really convenient for this matter. All of the parts of the essay should be connected by one thesis stated in the introduction.
Paragraph 1. Introduction.
- The introduction is the beginning part of the paper and this is why it has a special significance. This is the first thing what your audience will read in your essay and it must leave a good impression.
- One more function of the introduction is grabbing the reader’s attention. Usually it is done by getting through “a hook for the reader”. You may use various patterns for this matter. For instance, asking an intriguing question, providing a saying of some famous person or a bright quotation from the one of your sources. Also, good beginning will be indication of some curious fact or statistic data. However, remember that regardless which hook you use it must deal with your topic and thesis. Do not bring irrelevant information into your writing.
- The most important part of the introduction is usually considered to be a thesis statement. Typically, it is a sentence or two that reflects your position regarding the issue, which is discussed in the paper. What is more, the thesis should be a roadmap of the essay and, thus, concisely mention all the important facets you are going to reveal in the paper.
Paragraphs 2, 3, and 4. Main body of the essay.
- We have united 3 body paragraphs of the essay in one option as basically they are similar in structure and have same functions.
- As writing for school or college is usually argumentative the body paragraph must base on a particular argument / judgment, which is supported by proper evidence.
- The body paragraph should start with the topical sentence – the one that condenses the main idea of this paragraph.
- The last sentence of each body paragraph should be a transition to the next one. Try to sum up your previous findings and introduce the future step.
- Regarding evidence, you may use different models of it. A paraphrase or citations from the source, real life example, fact, information from newspaper – all these can be your pieces of evidence that help to defend your opinion.
Paragraph 5. Conclusion.
- The conclusion is the last but not the least significant component of the essay. A common problem among students is a feeling that everything has been already said and there is nothing left to write in the conclusion. Basically, this is right because you do not have to introduce any new topic in here but should elaborate the information that was presented.
- Summarize the points you have discussed in a very condensed manner. Show the reader that you have solved the issue presented in the introduction.
- Close the topic without closing it off. Try to demonstrate some new perspectives of your topic in the introduction.