If your task is to write an analytic paper the first thing you should understand is that describing, summarizing and just telling about the facts will be not enough. The key requirement is to explain why and how, not only what, when or where. This means that you must be able to examine the information and assess it. Our article will assist you with dealing with analytic essay: giving the definition, explaining the analytical techniques and writing tips.
- 1. What is analysis?
Analysis, in general, can be defined as a process of dividing a complex unit into smaller components. The aim of this is usually providing better understanding of the concept as a whole and in particular.
The analysis has its roots in mathematics and logic but nowadays it is used in all sciences.
- 2. Requirements to high school and University analysis essays.
High schools analytical papers usually:
- have a general wide topic;
- are organized in common 5 paragraphs structure: introduction, 3 body paragraphs, and conclusion;
- thesis is stated in one or maximum two sentences at the end of introduction.
The university level analysis essays have following features:
- analysis the topic in deep;
- thesis statement is a map to the following writing, should reflect the concepts you are foing to discuss and not limited in its length;
- does not have fixed structure – arguments define the number of paragraphs;
- the approximate organization is still an introduction, body and conclusion.
- 3. How to begin?
- Start with close reading the material, which is required.
- Try to criticize the information: think what and why is said by the author.
- Check your task once again and find the core concept you need to analyze.
- Brainstorm about the question: think of as many ideas as possible about the topic and make a list of them.
- Choose the ideas, which look the most successful and which you will be able to develop into full arguments.
- Select the points which you are going to defend and develop a thesis statement – your central idea that ties up the essay together.
- 4. Organizing the structure
- There different ways of structuring the analytical essay and they depend on method you choose to provide the analysis:
1) After the introduction you can demonstrate your key position, after which the alternative perspectives and supporting points to the main position should be provided.
2) Introduction – thesis statement – alternative perspectives – reason for alternative perspectives being invalid – summary and defense of your judgment – conclusion.
3) Introduction – thesis statement – point-by-point supporting of the arguments – conclusion.
- 5. Essay composition.
- your arguments should be developed in a clear and concise manner;
- avoid providing unnecessary points: make sure that every single word is on its place and worth writing;
- the ideas should be presented in the logical order: make sure your essay flows and can be understood easily;
- each your statement should be supported by the examples from the sources you analyze;
- Ensure that you have conducted a proper analysis and took the counterarguments into consideration as well.
- the last stage should be revising. We highly do not recommend omitting it as careless errors can reduce your grade.
Keywords: analysis essay, analytic essay, paper, writing, tips, steps, guide, structure, requirements, composition.