Personal identity is a complex notion, which covers various aspects of sociology, psychology and philosophy. We can also state that the concept of personal identity is long-lasting: although it changes dynamically under certain decisions one makes daily the core of it stays similar for lifelong. There are some basic factors influencing the character of personal identity: they are a place of birth, religion, race, ethnic identity, gender etc. If you have to write a paper on your personal identity you simply need to answer the question who you are, however, it may be not as simple as it seems to be. Find helpful writing tips for personal identity essays in our article.
What is personal identity?
- As we have indicated personal identity is a concept, which is an abstract notion based on certain beliefs and qualities that are not acquired but given in a natural way.
- Personal identity has various revelations in everyday life. For example, the clothes that you wear, the way you speak and treat other people show what kind of person you are.
- The questions, which are connected with the notion of personal identity are: “Who are you?”, “Do you matter?”, the meaning and tasks of human being and so on.
Personal identity: philosophic view.
- Philosophy of personal identity, first of all, deals with the criteria, which are set for identification. In fact, it discusses and answers the questions of what makes one a person.
- Personal identity philosophy deals with the concept of “persistence”, which means understanding of one’s existence through time. A popular opinion in this issue is that human being is able to persist as it has a soul, which is eternal unlike the human body. Such position in philosophy is called “dualism of mind and body”.
How to develop the personal identity?
- Personal identity is a dynamic model, which means that it can develop and change under certain circumstances. One of the basic factors, which cause changes in the personal identity, is age. The perceptions and attitudes will change according to how old the person is.
- Numerous changes in personal identity can happen during childhood and adolescence. Young people tend to experiment with their appearance more often than older once, this is why we can often see youngsters wearing new hairstyles, changing style of clothing, making tattoos piercing and so on.
- If one desires to develop personal identity it means that he or she would like to improve it. In this case, we recommend that the person learns new things, which he or she has never done or known before. It may be learning new language, getting involved in various kinds of sport, volunteer activity.
More tips on writing personal identity essay.
- When working on your personal identity paper you may pay attention and discuss the following points:
- Your personal identity in childhood;
- The factors making your personal identity change;
- The influence of nationality on your personal identity;
- How religion impacts or does not impact your personal identity;
- People that made an impact on your personal development;
- The factors, which damage your personality;
- Personal development goals and challenges, which you are setting.