Gender inequality would not be considered as such a serious issue if it did not create such a huge number of difficulties in women’s well-being. The pay gap, illegal abortions, discrimination at the workplace, glass ceiling, financial issues, lack of rights, domestic violence, limited access to education and partial opportunities in building a career are all the results of gender inequality.
Essay about Gender Inequality VS Thesis
There will be a significant difference between an essay on gender inequality, gender inequality research paper and the thesis on this issue. Basically, a thesis on gender inequality will be a lengthy work, which will include its writer`s point of view (as in an essay), some research results and evaluation of them (as in research paper) and the in-depth multi-aspect review of the stated problem. However, the topics and issues that can be covered, remain the same, with the only specification that topic for an essay about gender inequality may be narrower due to the short length requirement. Here are a few aspects to consider:
Lack of Political and Economic Power.
- It is an obvious fact that the most important political parts are played by male representatives. This is caused by the factor that usually men have better financial opportunities, which lets them realize their supremacy in politics.
- Consequently, women possess less economic power as major influential people in global economies are male.
- The factor, which worsens the overall situation in absence of equality between genders, is the fact that specific women`s rights are influenced mostly by men. For example, birth control access, paid sick leave, child care questions, and equal wages are discussed and resolved mostly by men.
Gender Roles and Stereotypes.
- The concept of gender roles is based on certain stereotypes, which have been developed historically as well as due to the biological factors.
- The female`s ability to give birth to children, her capacities and competence are mostly associated with nurturing and caring. This determines a choice of the service sector professions.
- Men are considered as bread-makers and workers, so they tend to have the jobs, which are more economically valuable. This results in such consequence as better payment to men doing the same jobs as women (a so-called ’wage gap’).
- There is one more critical issue due to gender inequality. It has a metaphorical nomination – “glass ceiling” or “sticky floor”, which symbolizes women’s inability to achieve a top of career ladder in certain companies.
Social Issues Caused by the Gender Inequality
- As women are considered to be a weaker sex (psychologically and physically), they more often become the victims of the domestic violence. While writing your paper, you may review the variety of domestic violence thesis statement examples to see the main set of problems connected with this aspect.
- Women are not allowed to control their biological functions when it comes to abortion. Giving birth to a child makes woman even less sustainable to the social and economic threats.
Ways to Manage the Gender Inequality.
- Popularizing family planning campaign, when a woman can decide on the number of children she desires to have.
- Women should be prevented of making illegal and not safe abortions, which are dangerous to women reproductive system and overall health state.
- Reproductive and sexual rights should be provided to women. This can be applied by given an easy access to reproductive medical services to them.
- One more helpful step to tackle the issue is promoting sexuality education and letting female teenagers know about ways to protect themselves from AIDS, HIV and undesired pregnancies as well as violence.
- Not only the countries with high economic level but also the countries, which are less developed, should care about this issue. There are 18 countries in the world, where, according to statistics, one woman has 5 children or more.
- One of effective examples of handling the issue of gender inequality is “Girl Geek Dinners” that are held weekly in London. This is a meeting for women that are dealing with technical professions, which are not typical for females. These dinners help women to share the experience and knowledge on how to be successful in IT, technologies, computer science and engineering. Such communities are essential in popularizing “male” professions in female surrounding.
A Few Brief Hints
Do not know what to start with? Start from the small! To write a good thesis you may complete an outline and a short essay first to put your ideas into an order. Later these papers can be elaborated into a well-done thesis paper. By the way, it is possible to order such an essay about gender inequality, an outline or even the whole thesis paper at pocket-friendly prices at CoolEssay.Net
Mind your structure. A thesis paper has specific set of structural demands. If your paper lacks an abstract or a good conclusion, you should not expect a good grade for it.
A new chapter – a new point. Every chapter should deal with the separate aspect of the main topic.
Revise. It is important to proofread and edit your thesis after it is done.