The process of euthanasia touches upon the most important value, which is human life. This is why it cannot be left without proper attention; what is more, a number of arguments have developed around it. This issue can be discussed from various angles: juristic, medical, psychological, social and religious. One important note for your paper – do not forget to find evidence for the arguments that you use. This is the only way to make your essay sound persuasive.
Juristic side of euthanasia.
- If we check the jurisdiction of the USA that deals with the issue of assisted suicide we will notice a tendency of its rejection. It is caused by the fact that euthanasia cannot be considered as an interest of fundamental liberty.
- Additionally, assisted suicide refutes one of the basic human rights – the right to live. Euthanasia can be considered as a murder, which is legalized, although it disapproves all the existing laws and moral rules.
- Once euthanasia is legalized we set at risk certain social classes. For example, the poor may suffer as unprincipled doctors might not care about continuing their life and spending funds and time on it.
- Secondly, euthanasia can be one of the revelations of discrimination: having some preferences due to color of skin, cultural, or ethnic background, unethical doctors may abuse euthanasia for discrimination purposes, which is not appropriate taking into consideration a long battle for equality.
Medical point of view on euthanasia.
- It is claimed that euthanasia helps to save huge amounts, which could have been spend of life duration of incurably sick people. However, if we check the costs of the drugs for assisted suicide we will assure that their price is much higher than those ones, which are used for saving people’s lives.
- Assisted suicide rebuts the Hippocratic Oath taken by all the doctors without exceptions. The main rule of the Oath is saving the life and health by all possible means. By offering euthanasia doctors are just breaking this promise and impugn health care practice, in general.
Religious side of the issue.
- Life is considered as a God’s gift to a person, however, we cannot dispose it fully when it comes to life and death question. In Christian tradition suicide is the biggest possible sin that a person can commit. Therefore, assisted suicide is a double sin: for the person that is euthanized and for the doctor who assists him or her in that.
- Christianity, also, declares that everyone must take care of not only his or her own health but of any person, in general. Also, intentions to cause someone’s death are considered as one of the worst sins.
Euthanasia and psychology
- It should be mentioned that the awareness of euthanasia possibility is damaging to the human’s mental health. Knowing that one can easily end his life without suffering people with a weak will or any psychological problems may desire to utilize euthanasia instead of resisting the problems and solving the issues. Taking into account a great number of distressed people in the modern world, we can assume that easy access to euthanasia endangers existing of human race.